On the surface, rhinoplasty may seem like a purely cosmetic surgery. After all, a nose job can make a big nose smaller, a crooked nose straighter, and a bumpy nose smoother.
While most people have rhinoplasty surgery to improve the appearance of their nose, the procedure also offers physical benefits that have little to do with your appearance. Read on to learn about all the benefits of rhinoplasty.
Types of Rhinoplasty Surgery
Rhinoplasty surgery is one of the most popular types of cosmetic surgery in the United States. About a quarter of a million people have the procedure each year, making it the third most common type of plastic surgery. During the procedure, a surgeon can reshape, resize, or reposition the nose to a more aesthetically pleasing or functional position.
If a surgery is done purely for aesthetic reasons, it’s called a “cosmetic rhinoplasty.” If it’s done to address a structural issue that improves an aspect of your physical health, it’s called a “functional rhinoplasty.” The surgeries are generally the same and have similar recovery periods. The intention of the procedure is the only difference.
Benefits of Rhinoplasty
Rhinoplasty offers both physical and emotional benefits. The way you feel about yourself is vitally important to leading a fulfilling, happy life. If you feel self-conscious about any aspect of your appearance, the way you view yourself suffers. A poor self-image can have detrimental effects on your emotional health. From a physical standpoint, rhinoplasty plays an important role in the body’s respiratory system. Your nose works with your mouth to bring oxygen into the body and to exhale carbon dioxide. If the nose doesn’t function properly, you could have difficulty breathing or sleeping.
Rhinoplasty can address both the physical and emotional aspects of your health.
1. Rhinoplasty can improve breathing. If you suffer from congenital or structural breathing problems, a rhinoplasty may help improve your breathing. If you have very small nostrils, a small nose, or if you’ve been injured in an accident that leaves your nose flattened, you could find your breathing to be partly restricted. You may feel breathless and unable to enjoy physical activities.
2. Rhinoplasty can boost your confidence. When you have a great profile, you’ll feel better about yourself. By improving the appearance of your nose with rhinoplasty, your emotional health will improve, filtering through to all aspects of your life.
3. Rhinoplasty can improve sinus problems. Irritations like headaches, consistent nasal congestion, and sinus pressure may be improved with rhinoplasty, especially if it alters the nasal septum, thus minimizing sinus problems. When the sinus cavities around your nose, in your upper cheeks, and forehead can adequately drain, pain, pressure, and discomfort are eliminated.
4. Rhinoplasty can rectify a broken nose. Not only can the surgery make a broken nose look better but it can alleviate pain that lingers from a traumatic injury.
5. Rhinoplasty can correct a prior surgery. If your first nose surgery didn’t provide the results you wanted, a revision can help it to look like you had envisioned.
6. Rhinoplasty can improve snoring. Don’t assume snoring is something you must simply accept. If drug-store remedies don’t work, nose surgery may offer a permanent fix for snoring and obstructive sleep apnea.
7. Rhinoplasty can improve sleep. When you can’t breathe adequately due to a flattened nose, blocked sinus cavities or obstructive sleep apnea, your entire well-being suffers. That’s why a nose job can correct myriad problems and help you get a good night’s rest.
Choosing The Right Surgeon
While it’s a very common cosmetic procedure, rhinoplasty requires a skilled hand. Achieving the desired appearance requires an experienced surgeon who can create symmetry and balance. Dr. King Kim not only has extensive experience in facial cosmetic surgery, but he is also an oral and maxillofacial surgeon. Dr. Kim understands all aspects of how the face and nose work together and can recommend the best solution for you.
Schedule an appointment with us today, call 321.725.5377 for our Melbourne office or 321.255.7724 for our Suntree office!